New York City Cerebral Palsy Lawyers
Serving Families That Have Suffered Cerebral Palsy Because Of Medical Malpractice In New York, NY for Close to 30 Years
As an umbrella term, cerebral palsy actually refers to an entire group of disorders and brain injuries that affect infants. While they can predominantly occur while the child is still in the womb, they can actually occur for up to the first two years of the child's life during the fast development period. Common causes of these disorders include bleeding in the brain, infections, head trauma and jaundice in certain circumstances. As broken down by the U.S. National Library of Medicine, symptoms differ depending on the different type occurring, but include the following:
Spastic Cerebral Palsy
- Muscles that are too tight.
- Abnormal way of walking:
- Arms pushed into the sides.
- Knees pushed too far apart or touching.
- Scissor movements during walking.
- Walking on the ball of feet or toes.
- Tightened joints that don't open completely.
- Weak muscles and / or loss of movement.
"Other" Types of Cerebral Palsy
- Twisting or jerking of hands, feet, arms and legs.
- Involuntary trembling.
- Walking unsteadily.
- Lack of balance and coordination.
- Muscles that are considered "floppy."
Symptoms of Brain / Nervous System
- Lowered intelligence level.
- Difficulty speaking.
- Issues with hearing and vision.
- Seizures and pain.
Symptoms of Eating / Digestive Symptoms:
- Difficulty in feeding and / or swallowing.
- Vomiting and / or constipation.
If any of the above symptoms become evident, it is important to get the involvement of an experienced medical professional as soon as possible. Although there are currently no cures available that will completely rehabilitate a victim, there are treatment options including home-care, medication and surgery. Obtain a New York medical malpractice attorney for representation in your case as soon as possible.
Pursuing Compensation in Cerebral Palsy Cases
Cerebral Palsy is often used to describe brain damage caused during labor and delivery. It is widely accepted that a significant percentage of these cases are the result the interruption of oxygen to a baby in distress during the birth process. While this terrible situation can often be recognized and prevented through proper management of labor and delivery, when disaster strikes and the child is brain damaged, the doctors and hospitals often fight relentlessly against the charges.
In fact, the national organization of obstetricians, ACOG, has continued to put out "guidelines" that attempt to justify even the most egregious malpractice. Fighting these cases requires experienced lawyers who are knowledgeable regarding the legal and medical issues involved. These lawyers must work with obstetricians, perinatologists (maternal-fetal medicine specialists), pediatric neuroradiologists, pediatric neurologists, neuropsychologist, economists and other experts to have the best chance of recovering compensation to care for and treat the child suffering from such birth injuries.
Children with cerebral palsy may not be able to speak, walk, eat or play in the same ways as most other children. Depending on the location and extent of the brain damage, some cerebral palsy children may display mental retardation, motor function disability, or both. Current treatments are not able to reverse the condition, and the child will be facing serious challenges throughout their lives.
You Need A Trusted New York Cerebral Palsy Lawyer
If your child has cerebral palsy or any other serious birth injuries, make sure you contact the best Cerebral Palsy Lawyers New York City, NY has to offer and who has a proven courtroom track record. The Law Offices of Joseph M. Lichtenstein has extensive and substantial experience in litigating birth injury cases. We are one of the top birth injury litigation firms in the metropolitan New York area and are personally committed to our clients and their future health and well-being.
Visit our Contact page or give us a call at to talk to a reputable New York cerebral palsy attorney, today. We serve residents of New York City across all boroughs, including the Bronx, Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan, Queens and Westchester Communities, as well as the Suffolk and Nassau Counties.
- $47 Million Dollar Verdict in Brooklyn Case for a Brain Injured Baby;
- $8 Million Dollars Settlement Value in Nassau County Case for Brain Damaged Baby;
- $5 Million Dollar Settlement in Queens Case for Woman injured by a truck;
- $4.4 Million Dollar Settlement in Bronx Case for Woman with a Stroke;
- $4 Million Dollar Settlement in Bronx Case for baby with cerebral palsy from medical Malpractice;
- $4 Million Dollar Settlement in Bronx Case for Baby brain damages in Hospital;
- $2.75 Million Dollar Settlement in Brooklyn Case involving a fire from a product defect;
- $2.6 Million Dollar Verdict in New York City Case for a Man Dying from a Heart Attack;
- $2.5 Million Dollar Settlement in Brooklyn Case for baby brain damages at birth;
- $2 Million Dollar Settlement in an Orange County Case for a baby brain damaged at birth;
- $1.8 Million Dollar Settlement after Verdict in Westchester County Case involving a truck accident;