"If We Don't Win, You Don't Pay!"
Experienced New York City Medical Malpractice Lawyers Serving Clients In Manhattan, Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, Long Island, West Chester County
Breast Cancer Misdiagnosis Lawsuits
Serving Clients Throughout New York City for Close to 30 Years
It is estimated that one in every eight women in the U.S. will develop breast cancer. In 2011, the number of women who suffered from this type of cancer reached over 230,000. Although this cancer most commonly affects women, there were over 2,000 cases of male breast cancer in 2011. Approximately two-thirds of women who develop breast cancer are over the age of 50. As this is such a prevalent issue, it is important that people are aware of the facts surrounding breast cancer. The more informed they are, the better able they will be to catch the cancer in its early stages.
The breast is made up of glands which produce milk. These glands are connected to the surface of the skin by ducts to nipple. Inside the breast are also found blood vessels, lymphatic channels, and nerves. Cancer is abnormal cell growth, so breast cancer is cells that are multiplying too much in the tissue of the breast. Breast cancer most often begins in the milk ducts or in the milk glands, but can spread throughout the breast and to other parts of the body.
Diagnosing Breast Cancer
Women are often encouraged to look for lumps in their breasts. The reason for this is that this is usually how breast cancer begins. In some cases, this tumor is confined and could take years to spread to other parts of the body. In other cases, the cancer spreads quickly through the lymphatic system or through the blood vessels. If a lump is found in the breast, it does not mean that it is necessarily cancer. The only way to find out if it is, however, is through a biopsy.
In order to be able to catch breast cancer in its early stages, it is necessary to understand what causes this type of cancer and who is more at risk. It cannot be stated dogmatically exactly what causes breast cancer. There are, however, certain factors which may increase a woman's likelihood of suffering from this cancer. One risk is age. The older a woman gets, the greater her likelihood of developing breast cancer. Also, if breast cancer runs in the family, this also increases the risk. It has been estimated that someone who has an immediate family member who has breast cancer is up to three times as likely to also suffer from breast cancer.
Medical Malpractice & Breast Cancer
Early detection in breast cancer is crucial. With this said, if the doctor is negligent in their treatment of a patient, the result could be a significant increase in the spread of the cancer. If you believe that your doctor ignored clear warning signs that you could be suffering from breast cancer, they could be guilty of medical malpractice. Failure to perform the proper tests or interpret them accurately could be a matter of life and death and should be treated as such. In other cases, the doctor may decide not to request a biopsy of the tissue for whatever reason. They may assume that it is an infection when in fact every possibility should be investigated.
If you or a loved one suffered from breast cancer and you believe that it was the result of medical malpractice please do not hesitate to contact our team at the Law Offices of Joseph M. Lichtenstein, PC. We have over 60 years of combined experience on our side and understand how difficult these cases can be. Our main priority is to protect your rights and get you the compensation you deserve. Call a Long Island breast cancer attorney today to find out more or to take advantage of our free case evaluation.
- $47 Million Dollar Verdict in Brooklyn Case for a Brain Injured Baby;
- $8 Million Dollars Settlement Value in Nassau County Case for Brain Damaged Baby;
- $5 Million Dollar Settlement in Queens Case for Woman injured by a truck;
- $4.4 Million Dollar Settlement in Bronx Case for Woman with a Stroke;
- $4 Million Dollar Settlement in Bronx Case for baby with cerebral palsy from medical Malpractice;
- $4 Million Dollar Settlement in Bronx Case for Baby brain damages in Hospital;
- $2.75 Million Dollar Settlement in Brooklyn Case involving a fire from a product defect;
- $2.6 Million Dollar Verdict in New York City Case for a Man Dying from a Heart Attack;
- $2.5 Million Dollar Settlement in Brooklyn Case for baby brain damages at birth;
- $2 Million Dollar Settlement in an Orange County Case for a baby brain damaged at birth;
- $1.8 Million Dollar Settlement after Verdict in Westchester County Case involving a truck accident;