Brain Injury Causes and Information
Explanation of Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI)
One of the most common types of brain injuries in personal injury claims are referred to as traumatic brain injuries (TBI). These are a form of acquired brain injuries in that they are not something that a victim is born with, but rather something that they sustain throughout the course of their life. Simply put, a TBI is something that is sustained through a traumatic event – typically through blunt force trauma or through something that penetrates through the skill. Symptoms vary, depending on the severity of the injury, but typically include headaches, confusion, lightheadedness, difficulty with vision and unconsciousness.
According to the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS), almost half of patients who suffer from a TBI will need to undergo a surgery of some sort. This can include healing hematomas, dealing with contusions and even removing splintered pieces of the skull. The prognosis also varies depending on extenuating factors. This can include disabilities, such as difficulties with the senses, problems communicating and mental / behavioral disorders. When more severe, a victim may split into a vegetative state where they are unconscious and unresponsive to outwards stimuli.
Work with an Experienced Personal Injury Firm
Traumatic brain injuries occur when an outside force traumatically injures the brain. This could be a result of negligent or tort (intentional) acts of someone, sometimes a medical professional. If this is the case, you may claim for damages against the person liable for the negligence or tort. If you have a brain injury case and are looking for a personal injury lawyer in Brooklyn and the nearby areas, the Law Offices of Joseph M. Lichtenstein, PC is a firm you can trust to handle your case with experience and sensitivity. Our Bronx personal injury lawyers have successfully helped our clients get compensation for their brain injury cases over the years.
Some of our successes are listed below:
- $47 million verdict in a medical malpractice case wherein a child suffered brain damage after doctors failed to properly resuscitate the child after he went into cardiac arrest while in a hospital.
- $4 million in a medical malpractice case involving pediatric open-heart surgery in which the defendant failed to realize the breathing tube was clogged after surgery, and the child went into cardiac arrest and suffered brain damage
- $4 million in a personal injury case involving claims that the State of New York failed to make a roadway safe for a bike-a-thon.
- $2.9 million in a case involving claims that a Caesarian section was delayed for 2 hours after the baby was in fetal distress. The baby suffered brain damage.
- $2.75 million in a medical malpractice case involving failure to properly manage labor resulting in brain damage. The mother came into the hospital in labor but was not seen by a doctor until 5 hours later. Despite an emergency caesarian section at that time, the child was brain damaged from lack of oxygen.
- $1.8 million in a case alleging post-mature delivery of an infant resulting in brain damage. This case was handed to us after 18 years of lawyers rejecting it as too difficult to prove. Our personal injury attorneys in Long Island and the surrounding areas had to prove the appearance of a brain damaged child 18 years previous. After locating the woman who shared the hospital room with our client 18 years earlier, we were able to prove our case and win for our client.
The Law Offices of Joseph Lichtenstein provides legal services to most areas around New York City, including the Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, and Manhattan, as well as Long Island, Westchester, Rockland County and Orange County. We offer New York communities our expertise as personal injury lawyers, among other legal services. For more information on our services, or to schedule a consultation, visit our contact us page or call us at (888) 392-3104.
- $47 Million Dollar Verdict in Brooklyn Case for a Brain Injured Baby;
- $8 Million Dollars Settlement Value in Nassau County Case for Brain Damaged Baby;
- $5 Million Dollar Settlement in Queens Case for Woman injured by a truck;
- $4.4 Million Dollar Settlement in Bronx Case for Woman with a Stroke;
- $4 Million Dollar Settlement in Bronx Case for baby with cerebral palsy from medical Malpractice;
- $4 Million Dollar Settlement in Bronx Case for Baby brain damages in Hospital;
- $2.75 Million Dollar Settlement in Brooklyn Case involving a fire from a product defect;
- $2.6 Million Dollar Verdict in New York City Case for a Man Dying from a Heart Attack;
- $2.5 Million Dollar Settlement in Brooklyn Case for baby brain damages at birth;
- $2 Million Dollar Settlement in an Orange County Case for a baby brain damaged at birth;
- $1.8 Million Dollar Settlement after Verdict in Westchester County Case involving a truck accident;